Kaltura Streaming Service introduction - Adding Video to Blackboard and MediaHub.
How do these two environments work? This implementation of Kaltura is convenient because no matter your upload method, your media is tied directly to your KU Online ID.
Both of our delivery environments - Blackboard and MediaHub - are connected to the same Kaltura cloud database. If you upload a file to a Blackboard course, that same video file will be available in your account when you login to MediaHub. And vice versa. Course instructors can conveniently upload once, and deliver their content in a few different ways.
Blackboard (step-by-step instructions 1:21 into video):
Your uploads are performed directly in the course content area, just like any other file upload. When needing to share video files with your students in Blackboard - please use this Kaltura tool. Not only are you ensuring that your students will have a pleasant playback experience, by streaming the video, and not needing to download the content to their computer, but it will be familiar to them, as well. As they will use the same player and player settings as they use when watching videos in other courses.
(As an aside - what about these player controls? The Kaltura player we've customized for KU has controls for captioning, speed control, and full-screen. Having those be familiar to students in each of their courses is a good thing.)
Sharing Video in Blackboard:
- Access any content area, such as Course Documents or Assignments.
- Select blue Build Content button, then Kaltura Media (next to last option under "Mashups").
(This step-by-step assumes that you're adding a video file for the first time. If you have already uploaded your video clip to MediaHub/Kaltura in the past (in another course, for example), you can skip to step 10. Otherwise, continue to step 3.)
- Click on Add New (upper right) and select Media Upload.
- Click the Choose a File --> Upload button and select the file from your computer.
- Click Open.
- Your video will begin uploading. You must remain on this page until the upload is complete.
- Edit the Title, Description and/or Tags. (Tip: Use a unique title or tag.)
- Click Save.
- Click Back to Browse and Embed.
- Find the media clip that you've uploaded. You can search by Title, Description or Tag. Click the Select button for that clip.
- Choose your display options (metadata and player skin) and click the Embed button.
- Give the content area item entry a Title and Description, and select your access options.
- Click Submit.
- Your media will begin transcoding/processing on the server. Depending on its length and size, it might take 2-20 minutes to be available for playback.
MediaHub (step-by-step instructions 4:33 into video): http://mediahub.ku.edu
We like to call MediaHub a "private YouTube." MediaHub uploads are unlisted and not indexed by any search engines. Your uploaded content can only be seen by the owner (after logging in), until you decide to share it. This allows you to upload your content and then share exactly as you wish.
How do you share it? You can send your audience a link to a page with the video. It's a MediaHub page with just that video on it. And is a "public" page. So in terms of privacy, anyone with that link can view it. So if someone you share the link with share it with others… they'd be able to view it. Our implementation of MediaHub does not allow you to protect these Share links with a password or through authentication.
Alternatively, every video you upload to MediaHub can be shared with HTML embed code. You can use this code to place the Kaltura player with your video on another website, like a departmental website utilizing KU's Content Management System.
MediaHub is a great tool to use for your videos that need to reach any audience other than KU students in a specific course. All KU Faculty, Staff, and GTAs should be able to login and share videos with MediaHub.
Sharing Video in MediaHub (instructions): https://kuit.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0011522